Health and Wellness Forum
Chairperson: Marlon Burgess (CEO – Afri-Sky Holdings (Pty) Ltd)
Vice-Chairperson: Avanthi Bester (Regulatory Affairs Manager: Africa – Becton Dickinson)
The Health and Wellness Forum is briefed by experts on all issues relating to wellness in the workplace. The Forum is kept abreast on the principles of successful partnerships and any other health-related issues such as management of cancer, diabetes, and stress in the workplace. In addition, information is shared on how to encourage employees to facilitate healthier lifestyles, how to promote productivity, and prevent burnout.
- To monitor key strategic issues relating to health and wellness for appropriate action;
- To provide a networking platform for U.S. member companies in the health and wellness space; and
- To monitor and comment on policy relating to health
Past Speakers have included:
- Dr Brian Ruff, CEO at PPO Serve, on “Responses to the Health Market Inquiry (HMI) Provisional Findings”
- Professor Alex van den Heever, Chair: Social Security Systems Administration and Management Studies at Wits, on an update of the Presidential Health Summit and the NHI
- Dr Nevilene Slingers, Executive Manager: Donor Coordination at SANAC on “The impact of Budget Cuts and Restraints from funders (especially the U.S.) on funding for HIV and TB programmes in SA”
- Etienne Dreyer, Associate Director at PwC, on “Global Health Issues and the NHI”
- Mandi Krebs, Associate: Life Sciences; and Julia Sham, Attorney, from Hogan Lovells on “Health Care Forums – Recent Developments (Draft National Health Insurance Bill (NHI), Draft Medical Scheme Amendment Bill (MSA) and the Health Market Inquiry Provisional Report (HMI)”
- Kavindhran Velen, Senior Programme Manager at The Aurum Institute, on “TB in the Workplace”
- Marc Matthews, President at Alere Healthcare, on “Influenza in the workplace”
- Dr Sandile Buthelezi, CEO at the South African National AIDS Council (SANAC), on SANAC’s mandate to the challenge of HIV/AIDS in South Africa
- Elnika den Blanken, Team Leader: Wellness Events Manager at Disvocery Health, on the Discovery HealthyCompany programme
- Andrew Heilbrunn, Director at the Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology (CDE), on Heart Health
- Henk Meintjes, Head of Risk and Product Development at Liberty, on the “Outcomes of Liberty’s 2016 Claim Statistics”
- Deirdre Larkin, marathon runner and record-holder, on physical fitness.
- Marita Williams, Head of Executive Lifestyle Business Development at EOH Health, on healthy eating in an everyday lifestyle
- Tracy Feinstein, Operations Manager at the South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) on depression in the workplace
- Dr Gene Elliott, Physician Executive at InterSystems, on super-bugs
- Dr Leana Maree, Clinical Virologist at Lancet Laboratories, on the influenza virus
- Professor Alex van den Heever, Chair: Social Security Systems Administration and Management Studies at the Wits School of Governance on directions for strategic healthcare reform.
- Neil Kirby, Director at Werksmans Attorneys, on the proposed National Health Insurance (NHI) White Paper
- Chantal du Chenne, Managing Director for MHealth Solutions, on “The Vodacom MHealth Voucher initiative”
- Ingrid Reinten, Public Sector Specialist, on the state of the Public Health Sector
- Willem Pretorius, Global Product Manager for HIV Care at Alere Healthcare, on “Re-engineering healthcare in South Africa”
- Khadija Richards, Programme Director: Voices of Change at Re-Action! Consulting, on key populations with HIV
- Banele Msane, an HIV positive survivor, on his inspirational journey
Copies of these presentations can be accessed here.
View Previous Minutes:
This content is for members only. You must log in to view this content.