Energy & IPP Forum
Chairperson: Masego Seane (Head of Regulatory Services: Minerals, Energy and Technology – Sasol Ltd.)
Vice-Chairperson: Rinus Strydom (Sales Director – Jabil Inala)
Launched in 2012, the Energy & IPP Forum focuses on issues and news relevant to the energy sector. Discussion topics are held on subjects such as renewable and affordable energy, the energy crisis and energy solutions. The Forum keeps business up to date with the latest energy developments, global energy insights and the implications for South Africa, and identifies obstacles and challenges in the business environment.
- To provide a platform to share ideas and strategies related to the energy sector.
- To facilitate networking opportunities.
- To find business solutions surrounding the issues of energy security, policy and affordability.
- To facilitate interaction with government and advocate within the energy policy space.
- To share expert knowledge and best-practice examples.
Past Speakers have included:
- Wendy Poulton, General Manager at Eskom, and Chose Choeu, Divisional Executive: Corporate Affairs at Eskom, on “Eskom’s Strategy Review 2018”
- Tumi Leie, Analyst at Gaia Infrastructure Projects, on “Looking to renewable energy programmes for short- to mid-term solutions to the water crisis”
- Natalie Naidoo, VP at Sasol Group Strategy Enablement & Execution, on “Digitalisation and its impact on energy”
- Andrew Gilder, co Director at Climate Legal, and Mansoor Parker, Tax Executive at ENSafrica, on carbon tax
- Dr Rod Crompton, former manager at the Department of Minerals & Energy, on “The role of gas and energy planning in South Africa”
- Sedick Davis, Nuclear specialist and General Manager at the Koeberg Nuclear Plant on “Nuclear and what it means for SA”
- Nhlanhla Gumede, Former DDG at the Department of Minerals & Energy, on Eskom as a single-buyer of electricity
- Marion Hughes, General Manager: Stakeholder Management at Eskom, on Eskom’s achievements for 2015/16
- Paul Vermeulen, DSM & SSM Manager of City Power on “Embedded Power Generation”
- Silas Zimu, Special Advisor on Energy to President Jacob Zuma, on “Electricity in South Africa and where we are headed”
- Elsa Strydom, Senior Project Manager at the IPP Office, on “The IPP Office’s mandate and an update on the IPP projects”
- Steve Hedden, Researcher at the Institute of Security Studies (ISS) on the ISS research article titled “Business urged to pay attention to South Africa’s water risks and opportunities”
- Johan van den Berg, CEO of the South African Wind Energy Association (SAWEA), on “Pricing and rates for IPPs”
- Mbulelo Ncetezo, Executive Manager: Electricity Division at the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA), on “Eskom’s proposed electricity tariffs and how the electricity regulation is applied”
- Leonardo Manus, Chief Director: Infrastructure at the Department of Water & Sanitation, on the current water situation in South Africa
- Frank Spencer, Business Development Consultant at First Solar, on “The Quiet Revolution: Solar Power in the electricity crisis”
Copies of these presentations can be accessed here.
View Previous Minutes:
This content is for members only. You must log in to view this content.