Brandholder Anti-Counterfeiting Forum
Chairperson: Johann Guldenpfennig (Brand Protection Manager – Skye Distribution)
The Brandholder Anti-Counterfeiting (BAC) Forum is a newly launched Forum, established to encourage collaboration between brandholders to address common issues such as counterfeiting, relationships with law enforcement agencies, lobbying and advocacy, and training sessions.
- To be available to all brandholders, in and outside of Amcham membership, to address cross-cutting issues;
- To lobby government and relevant officials in terms of pressing matters
- To create awareness about the serious impact counterfeiting has on the economy, and its serious risks to the consumer; and
- To engage law enforcement agencies to establish a valid working relationship and open channels of communication.
Past Speakers have included:
- Raj Pather, Brand Protection Manager at Nike, on the Forum’s collaboration with the City of Johannesburg (COJ) to fight counterfeiting
- Mohamed Ally, member of the SARS Custom Unit at O.R. Tambo (ORT) International Airport, on the counterfeit procedures at ORT
- Rita Viljoen, Senior State Advocate at the National Prosectuing Authority (NPA) on “The Specialised Crime Unit (SCCU) and IP crimes – the decision to prosecute or not”
- Jarred West and Mohamed Khader, Spoor & Fisher on “A Legal perspective on fighting counterfeiting in South Africa”
- Magauta Mphahlele, Acting Ombud at the Consumer Goods and Services Ombud (CGSO), on the CGSO’s mandate
- Joe van Der Walt, CEO at Focus Africa, on “The Intelligence Approach – Fighting Counterfeiting in Africa”
- Braam Schoeman, Brand protection Manager: Africa at S.C. Johnson & Son, on “A discussion on anti-counterfeiting measures in Africa”
- Freek van Rooyen, Partner: Trade, Energy & Transport Division at Shepstone & Wylie Attorneys on “The Border Management Authority Bill: Will it enhance trade?”
- Amanda Lotheringen, Senior Manager: Copyright and IP Enforcement at the CIPC, on “Fragmented Enforcement Strategies”
Copies of these presentations can be accessed here.
View Previous Minutes:
This content is for members only. You must log in to view this content.