Health and Wellness Forum
Chairperson: Marlon Burgess (CEO – MDG Health Solutions (Pty) Ltd)
Vice Chairperson: Dr Gene Elliott (Physician Executive – InterSystems South Africa)
The Health and Wellness Forum is briefed by experts on all issues relating to wellness in the workplace. The Forum is kept abreast on the principles of successful partnerships and any other health-related issues such as management of cancer, diabetes, and stress in the workplace. In addition, information is shared on how to encourage employees to facilitate healthier lifestyles, how to promote productivity, and prevent burnout.
- To establish productive dialogue between the Department of Health and business to raise awareness of wellness and health.
- To assist Amcham members by addressing challenging health issues.
- To provide relevant and timely information on new health legislation that could impact the business operations of members.
- To arrange economic and political briefings to provide members with an understanding of local health and socio-economic needs.
- To provide advocacy on a range of health issues that confront members.
Past Speakers have included:
- Elnika den Blanken, Team Leader: Wellness Events Manager at Disvocery Health, on the Discovery HealthyCompany programme
- Andrew Heilbrunn, Director at the Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology (CDE), on Heart Health
- Henk Meintjes, Head of Risk and Product Development at Liberty, on the “Outcomes of Liberty’s 2016 Claim Statistics”
- Deirdre Larkin, marathon runner and record-holder, on physical fitness.
- Marita Williams, Head of Executive Lifestyle Business Development at EOH Health, on healthy eating in an everyday lifestyle
- Tracy Feinstein, Operations Manager at the South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) on depression in the workplace
- Dr Gene Elliott, Physician Executive at InterSystems, on super-bugs
- Dr Leana Maree, Clinical Virologist at Lancet Laboratories, on the influenza virus
- Professor Alex van den Heever, Chair: Social Security Systems Administration and Management Studies at the Wits School of Governance on directions for strategic healthcare reform.
- Neil Kirby, Director at Werksmans Attorneys, on the proposed National Health Insurance (NHI) White Paper
- Chantal du Chenne, Managing Director for MHealth Solutions, on “The Vodacom MHealth Voucher initiative”
- Ingrid Reinten, Public Sector Specialist, on the state of the Public Health Sector
- Willem Pretorius, Global Product Manager for HIV Care at Alere Healthcare, on “Re-engineering healthcare in South Africa”
- Khadija Richards, Programme Director: Voices of Change at Re-Action! Consulting, on key populations with HIV
- Banele Msane, an HIV positive survivor, on his inspirational journey
Copies of these presentations can be accessed here.
View Previous Minutes:
This content is for members only. You must log in to view this content.